January 7th, 2022
King Soopers/City Market knows that you are getting a lot of information right now and it’s hard to determine what is the truth and what is not. We also know there is a lot of uncertainty that comes with a strike.
Unfortunately, your union president is determined to take you down this path without considering what this means for you and your family. Has UFCW Local 7 explained to you what an unfair labor practice strike means?
King Soopers/City Market would like you to know.
- Strikes are divided into two categories: economic strikes and unfair labor practice strikes.
- Economic strikes are those that take place over issues such as wages and benefits.
- An unfair labor practice strike occurs when the union calls for workers to strike over an employer’s unfair labor practice.
Let’s be clear: Local 7 has called an unfair labor practice strike, which means if you choose to go on strike it can’t be about your wages or benefits. It’s about what the union perceives as an unfair labor practice. The National Labor Relations Board has not ruled on any of the unfair labor practice charges the union has filed.
King Soopers has followed the law and the collective bargaining agreement and has negotiated in good faith throughout the bargaining process.
What Else Should You Know?
- The union has signed an extension with Safeway/Albertsons that basically has the same contract language including wages, health care, and pension benefits.
- Why is Local 7 offering an extension and certainty for Safeway/Albertsons workers but is not giving King Soopers/City Market associates the same consideration?
- Instead, your union wants to put pressure on YOU and take you out on strike.
- The decision to strike is your choice and yours alone.
- Money that could have been spent on wages and ratification bonuses but was spent on contingency planning, as well as lost sales from a strike, will be taken into consideration when we return to the bargaining table.
- Nobody wins in a strike.
Why isn’t the union allowing you to vote on our Comprehensive Best Offer to Settle?
- We believe you should have the right to vote on our offer and not let a bargaining committee of 25 and your union president to make that decision for you.
- A vote on the company’s offer would allow you to choose what is best for you and your family. This decision further demonstrates Local 7’s desire to push its own agenda with no regard you.
To keep up to date on what’s happening and to review our Comprehensive Best Offer to Settle on this website.
Back to Homepage